CTEC Cosmetology/Barber is the only high school cosmetology program in Utah where a student can earn a professional cosmetology/barber license at the time of their high school graduation. CTEC also offers a separate Barbering Program. Click here to compare the available cosmetology licenses.
Cosmetology is the art and science of beautifying and improving the hair, skin and nails. The students earn required hours and prepare to pass both the Utah Written and Practical Examinations required to obtain a Utah DOPL Cosmetology/Barber License. Students receive this preparation while practicing in an actual salon experience through the program’s public salon facilities and its clientele. Students are also prepared in theory classes. Students have the opportunity to study and practice men’s and women’s hair styling, cutting, coloring, perming, chemical relaxing, nail care, skin care, chemistry, anatomy, and physiology – all with an emphasis on safety, sanitation and professionalism.
- The student who attends the program for 2 years including summer sessions has the ability to complete the state licensing requirements to be a licensed cosmetologist/barber.
- The student who attends the program for 1 year is able to transfer their clock hours and services to a Cosmetology/Barber program of their choice after high school graduation.
- By successfully completing the 2 year course sequence, students will have the opportunity to earn up to 44 elective college credits.
- Those seeking a Cosmetology Degree may attend the USU-Eastern campus to fulfill the USU-Eastern cosmetology/barber course curriculum.
- Upon the student’s completion of the state license requirements, the student will be able to apply for a cosmetology/barber license.
- Licensed Cosmetologist/Barber
- Hair Stylist
- Nail Technician
- Basic Esthetician (skin care)
- Make-up Artist
- Salon Manager
- Salon Owner
- Platform Artist
- Professional Educator
Additional Classes Available:
To provide the student with the opportunity to earn additional clock hours, the student has the option after their first semester to attend 2 evening sessions a week in addition to the school day session. A summer session is also available to the students to earn additional clock hours.
High School Credit:
CTE credit or elective credit: up to 4 credits total Concurrent Credit: 44 elective college credits available. Student is required to register and pay for concurrent enrollment classes with USU-Eastern.
Students may experience youth leadership and service through SkillsUSA.
Students will work toward the State of Utah DOPL: Utah Cosmetology/Barbering Licensing Exams.
Good eye-hand coordination, artistic color and design principles, basic geometric design, logical reasoning, basic math and customer service skills.
Contact your CTE Coordinator before February for priority deadline dates. A parent is required to attend the orientation meeting. A 2.0 GPA is required by USU-Eastern.