CTEC Barbering is the only high school barbering program in Utah where a student can earn a professional barber license at the time of their high school graduation. CTEC also offers a combined Cosmetology/Barbering Program. Click here to compare the available cosmetology licenses.
Barbering is the art and science of cutting and styling hair, as well as the designing of beards and mustaches. The students earn required hours and prepare to pass both the Utah Written and Practical Examinations required to obtain a Utah DOPL Barber License. Students receive this preparation while practicing in an actual salon experience through the program’s public salon facilities and its clientele. Students are also prepared in theory classes. Students have the opportunity to study and practice men’s and women’s hair cutting and styling, beard/mustache shaving and design, and chemistry and anatomy – all with an emphasis on safety, sanitation and professionalism.
- The student who attends the program for 3 semesters (6 high school quarters or 4 high school quarters and 1 summer session) has the ability to complete the state licensing requirements to be a licensed barber.
- The student who does not complete the required hours while attending CTEC is able to transfer their clock hours and services to a barbering program of their choice after high school graduation.
- By successfully completing the 1 year course sequence, students will have the opportunity to earn up to 22 elective college credits.
- Upon the student’s completion of the state license requirements, the student will be able to apply
for a Barber license.
- Barber Shop/Salon Manager Barber
- Shop/Salon Owner Professional
- Educator Platform Artist
Additional Classes Available:
To provide the student with the opportunity to earn additional clock hours, the student has the option after their first semester to attend 2 evening sessions a week in addition to the school day session. A summer session is also available to the students to earn additional clock hours.
High School Credit:
CTE credit or elective credit: up to 4 credits total
22 elective college credits available. Student is required to register and pay for concurrent enrollment classes with USU-Eastern.
Students may experience youth leadership and service through SkillsUSA.
Students will work toward the State of Utah DOPL: Utah Barbering Licensing Exams.
Good eye-hand coordination, artistic color and design principles, basic geometric design, logical reasoning, basic math and customer service skills.
Contact your CTE Coordinator before February for priority deadline dates. A parent is required to attend the orientation meeting. A 2.0 GPA is required by USU-Eastern.